Personal, Social, Health and Economic (PSHE) Education
Subject Leader: Miss Williams
PSHE education is a subject through which pupils develop the knowledge, skills and attributes they need to keep themselves healthy, safe and prepared for life and work in modern Britain. PSHE education is also embedded throughout other curriculum areas such as Science and ICT.
PSHE education at Barnabas Oley enables pupils to:
- know and understand what constitutes a healthy lifestyle (e.g. the benefits of physical activity, rest, healthy eating and dental health);
- be aware of safety issues (including road safety, the correct use of medicines and online safety);
- understand what makes for good relationships with others;
- have respect for others;
- be an independent and responsible member of our school community;
- develop self-confidence and self-esteem enabling them to make informed choices;
- be positive and active members of the wider community.
Evidence shows that well-delivered PSHE programmes have an impact on both academic and non-academic outcomes for pupils, particularly the most vulnerable and disadvantaged.
Further School Information
At Barnabas Oley, all classes follow a two-year cycle PSHE Curriculum Plan, which is supplemented by focus days and weeks such as Anti-Bullying Week, Healthy Week and Science Week.
Our PSHE Curriculum Plan
Life Bus - Education Centre Visits
The Life Bus visits our school every two years. In July 2016, the Life Bus visited our school and all classes participated in the PSHE session, including our friends from Great Gransden Pre-school. Harold the giraffe is a popular character on board!
The Life Bus will be visiting us again in Summer 2018.
See also PSHE Governor Visit Reports